I have read about ‘Zone of Influence’ and ‘Length, Breadth
and Depth of influence’ in managing people.
When I analyzed the India-Australia test series of 2013 played
in India when India won the series 4-0, I realized there was another element to
the above dimensions of managerial influence.
This I think is appropriate to be called Ratio of Impactful Influence.
Dhoni has to manage 11 players in the team (not considering
the other people he has to probably manage outside the playing field). Out of
this 11, if he can have a impactful (positive) influence on a certain number of
people, his ability to steer the team to achieve team goals in a way he thinks
is right would be easier.
For whatever we may hear individuals tell media, a close
reading of behavior, body language, choice of words and timing of performance
can educate the observer of the true undercurrents of the inter-personal
relationships in a team. Gautam Gambir and Virendra Sehwag probably were
unconformable with Dhoni’s leadership (may be attributed to numerous reasons
which are not part of this topic).
Dhoni can’t influence the likes of Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid,
VV Laxman. So, in a team of 11, Dhoni had 5 players whom he could influence.
That is, 5/8, about 62.5%. On the other hand, he had 2/8 negative influences,
that is about 25%. This gives a ratio of 62.5/25, 2.5, which I call the Ratio
of Influence.
Now, in this series, Rahul Dravid and VV Laxman were not
part of the team. The Equation changed as negative influence: 2/10 or 20%
(leaving Tendulkar as non-influenceable), positive as 8/10 or 80%. The ratio of
influence now became 4.0.
I see this as a game-changer for the team. Dhoni now had a
ratio of influence that enabled him guide, demand and achieve from the team
what he wanted. The results are there to show.
I am trying to see if this is a trend with other teams as
well or other comparable areas where such an ration can be observed.
As I post this blog, I can sense this ratio thing as a backdrop
in bringing NRN back to Infosys. Having a good leader is essential and also
essential is a team whom he can influence and get things done. And when this
influence exceeds a thresh-hold, the probability of the influence being
impactful increases.
I have seen this happen in my work experience working in
teams (small and big) and as a member and leader.
A little thought about this ratio could help form efficient and productive project and task force teams either in sport or in business.
No comments:
Post a Comment