Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wasted opportunity – MRTS Stations in Chennai and Solar Energy



Every day as I walk into the MRTS (Mass Rapid Transit System) station at Taramani, Chennai (India) the feel of wasting a colossal opportunity to use the station space for public utility and as an example of energy efficiency strikes me hard. The truly bumpy ride to the station in an auto rickshaw and the lumps of cow-shit and dog-shit covering the floor inside the complex don’t actually bother me as much. 
Photos soon.

The ground floor of the station, except for the ticket counter at the west end is entirely wasted. Much can be done about this space about which I plan to post a blog later.

When I go up the platform floor and as I wait for the train to come in, it is hard to miss the huge rooftop and side covers. What better place to install and harness solar energy than this vast collectible area of solar energy. The station needs lighting very badly to ensure safety of passengers. If solar panels are installed, it can easily supply entire power needs of the station lighting and also leave enough for other uses.

If the ground floor space can be made viable for social/commercially use, the spare solar power can satisfy their lighting and other small power needs too.

This is true for most of the MRTS stations as well. The very design of MRTS stations lends them for this solar power application very well.

If the government can lead by example by using space in its control for harnessing renewable energy, it will promote faster public and private adoption. Needless to say, it will also promote a sustainable solar cell manufacturing industry; provide jobs for installation and maintenance personnel as additional social benefits. I am sure any wholesome analysis (Cost-Benefit, Social Benefit, Economic impact analysis) will support this cause.

1 comment:

  1. Its absolutely correct. But I think its because of govt laziness or impotent officials the space is still wasted. As a mrts user I wish some small shop which could sell tea/coffee/water/newspaper...but nothing works in India

    ReplyDelete